Showing posts with label Brgy. South. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Brgy. South. Show all posts

Monday, May 11, 2015

Fishing tools for Dadiangas South residents


GENERAL SANTOS CITY (6 May 2015) - The City Agriculturist’s Office gives fishing inputs to 42 recipients from Barangay Dadiangas South during the city government's Barangayan on April 24. The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources provided the fishing gears.  (Gensan CPIO/ Jan Rey P. Libunao)

Monday, March 2, 2015

City government helps relocated families

GENERAL SANTOS CITY (28 February 2015) - The 38 families relocated from their coastal residence in Purok Tinago, Barangay South due to coastal erosion received assistance from the city government on February 25.

City Mayor Ronnel Rivera, accompanied by the City Housing and Land Management Office, City Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Office, and City Social Welfare and Development Office, went to Promise Land—a relocation site in Barangay Mabuhay—and distributed aid to the affected families.

The assistance from City Hall came in the form of "family packs” consisting of basic commodities such as 10-kilos of rice, canned goods, basin, kitchen utensils, and clothes. 

Arsenia Agraviador, one of the beneficiaries, expressed her delight for “rescuing them” from imminent danger and providing for their basic needs.

“We were so afraid when the soil underwater was devoured. I thought first that it was a sinkhole, but it was even more dangerous. I really thank the local government for caring for us,” Agraviador said.

The same sentiment was also expressed by other residents who were relocated from Tinago, now a no-build zone.

The city government has been coordinating with the Department of Social Welfare and Development so that these affected families can avail of the Core Shelter Assistance Project.

Gawad Kalinga also indicated willingness to help these families build more decent homes.
The 38 families were prioritized to be relocated first because they were living very close to the shoreline.

The remaining 1,000 families living in Tinago will be relocated in a three-hectare relocation site in Lanton, Barangay Apopong.

“I want everyone to be safe that is why I ordered a forced evacuation. If some will not heed our warnings, then we will give a waiver that the local government will not be responsible if something will happen to them,” Mayor Rivera explained. “But of course, I am not heartless that is why I still plead for them to voluntarily evacuate.” (Gensan CPIO/ Ian John M. Lagare)

Monday, February 23, 2015

Coastal erosion prompts Tinago evacuation


GENERAL SANTOS CITY (22 February 2015) - City Mayor Ronnel Rivera holds a public consultation on February 20 at Irineo Santiago National High School where he assured the relocation sites for families from Purok Tinago, Barangay South after they were being forced to evacuate due to coastal erosion in the area which started last week. Some of the families will be transferred to Barangay Mabuhay's Promised Land and the rest will be on a three-hectare land in Lanton, Barangay Apopong. (Gensan CPIO/ Russell Delvo)

CDDRMO: Coastal erosion, not sinkhole

GENERAL SANTOS CITY (22 February 2015) - The City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) said what is taking place now in Purok Tinago, Barangay South is a case of “coastal subsidence” and not the feared sinkhole.

Dr. Bong Dacera, CDDRMO action officer, has clarified to the residents of Tinago during a public consultation on February 20 at Irineo Santiago National High School that it was not a sinkhole but rather an underwater soil erosion.

“Only the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) can declare if that is the sinkhole. But as of now, based on our assessments, it is a coastal subsidence,” Dacera said.

“Few meters from the shores of Tinago, there is an underwater precipice (steep cliff) around 25 meters deep. Throughout the years, the movement of the sea has eroded parts of this cliff, thus causing the erosion,” Dacera explained.

According to Dacera, if you are to compare to a surface phenomenon, what happened there is definitely a landslide.

The MGB has also released a one-page report that supported the preliminary explanation of the CDRRMO.

A team of geologists from the national office of MGB will dive any moment this week at Tinago to inspect and assess the erosion.

The results will also be used by the city government and the CDRRMO for disaster-proofing of Barangay South and nearby coastal communities.

Sinkhole or not, the risks are still high and looming for the residents of Tinago.

That is why City Mayor Ronnel Rivera has ordered a mandatory evacuation for all the residents of Tinago.

Thirty-seven families will be transferred to the relocation site Promise Land in Barangay Mabuhay. These families are those who were living nearest to the coastline of Tinago.

On the other hand, the rest of the residents of 9A Tinago and 9B Tinago will be relocated to a three-hectare land in Purok Lanton, Barangay Apopong.

Mayor Rivera promised the residents that he will do his best that they will be relocated within three months.

He also disclosed that each of them will be given 75 square meters per house.

The mayor also approved the request of some bigger families to do house sharing with structures.  

“Actually this is hard task but since this is very immediate, I have to make arrangements so that residents in Tinago can be relocated and be moved away from danger as soon as possible,” Mayor Rivera said.

As of now, Mayor Rivera already tasked related local government unit’s departments to do land banking for the purpose of relocation and/or, if possible, for socialized housing.

These residents of Tinago will no longer be required to have Urban Development Housing Act (UDHA) certificate for easier relocation.
 The erosion, if it gets wider, could affect 1,000 more families and even nearby villages such as Purok Islam.

Mayor Rivera declared already that Tinago is a “no-build zone” to restrict anyone from erecting any form of house or establishment there.

The erosion has extended around 100 meters to the sea. In an aerial view, the collapse is visible and distinct compared to the surrounding shores.

Also, locals have estimated that the entire scope of erosion is around 70 meters in diameter and around 640 meters deep. (Gensan CPIO/ Ian John M. Lagare)

Monday, June 2, 2014

Partners support Mayor Rivera’s Barangayan


GENERAL SANTOS CITY (31 May 2014) - In the Barangayan Program of City Mayor Ronnel Rivera, basic yet necessary services are being rendered by the city government and its partners to the constituents of the city. Here, a free haircut is being offered to the residents of Barangay South sponsored by some local radio stations and fraternities. The Barangayan is an initiative of Mayor Rivera to bring government and other related services closer to the people. (GENSAN CPIO/Russell Delvo)