Friday, June 13, 2014

GenSan’s newest boxing pride returns home

By Ian John M. Lagare

GENERAL SANTOS CITY (13 June 2014) – After successfully regaining the North America Boxing Federation (NABF) featherweight title, Marvin Sonsona has returned to his hometown General Santos City on Wednesday (June 11) to the welcome of City Mayor Ronnel Rivera.

In his recent 10-round match in Madison Square Garden, New York last Sunday (June 8), Sonsona won in a split decision against former tormentor, Wilfredo Vasquez Jr..

Vasquez dealt Sonsona his only loss in his professional boxing career last 2010.

With a 19-1-1 (15 KOs) boxing record, Sonsona is now both the NABF Featherweight Champion and World Boxing Organization (WBO) International Featherweight Champion.

Sonsona, 24, is a resident of Alunan, Barangay Bula, General Santos City.

Upon on his arrival at General Santos City International Airport, he was warmly welcomed by Mayor Rivera along with the Sonsona family.

Mayor Rivera also organized a “hero’s welcome” for the newest boxing pride of General Santos City.

“Just like Manny Pacquiao, we should fete our other constituents who have given pride to the city. Sonsona did well in his last fight and we should acknowledge it,” the mayor said.

The welcome float ended up in the City Hall grounds where a press conference was waiting for him.
In the press conference, Sonsona narrated the travails he experienced before and during the fight against Vasquez.

“It was hard for me”, Sonsona stated in vernacular. “I had so much little time to adjust to the temperature in New York. It was really cold there. We stayed in San Francisco for seven days and another five days in New York. It was really hard.”

“I trained hard but the fight is much harder. Vasquez’s punches are very painful. I scored a knock down on the first round, but after that, I couldn’t score another one so i just played safe in the succeeding rounds.”

Despite his victory, Sonsona admitted his disappointment on his last fight.

“I don’t like my fight. I could have shown more but I failed to. It goes to show that I have a long way to go”.

When asked if he would follow the footsteps of Cong. Manny Pacquiao to the world of politics, Sonsona just shook his hands and said, “that is not for me”.
Sonsona is expected to have his next fight this coming September.

Before the press conference ended, Sonsona thanked Mayor Rivera for supporting him in his fight.

“I am really thankful to mayor and to the constituents of General Santos to the support you have given me. I know I have not shown my very best but I’ll train hard next time so that I can give you a good fight,” Sonsona said.

In response, Mayor Rivera affirmed the statement of Sonsona. “I am thankful to people like Sonsona who work hard to give honor to our city. That’s why in my term, we are doing our best to support these individuals. The recently concluded Summerfest 2014 is a proof that we are showcasing the talents here in our city, not only in the line of sports but also in performing arts and other fields.” Mayor Rivera emphasized. (GENSAN CPIO/Ian John M. Lagare)

No comments:

Post a Comment